- Category: Dog Parks
6402 Occident Street
2 very large areas fenced separately for small and large dogs.
Al Lopez Park
4810 N. Himes Avenue
Features: Fenced, benches, tables, handicap access, poop bags, trees, parking, restrooms, water, trash cans. There is a 1.5 acre fenced dog park for larger dogs and an 8000 square foot park for small dogs. There is a double gated entry area, benches, water and pickup bags are available. The dog park is located on the west side of Al Lopez Park
17302 North Dale Mabry Highway
Features: Fenced but no separate areas for small and large dogs. Restrooms and drinking water accessible.
Palma Ceia Park
San Miguel & Marti
The dog park is about 3/4 acres and is entirely fenced. It has a double gated entry, water, and pickup bags available. The park is located on the northeast corner of the park at West San Miguel & Marti.
Davis Islands Dog Park and Beach
Davis Island, Fl
There are two fenced dog parks at the south end of Davis Islands. One of the parks is entirely fenced and is about one acre. The other park is a 1 1/2 acre beach front park with over 200 feet of waterfront available for dogs. There is water, double gated entry, and pickup bags available..On Severn Ave and Martinique Ave. Airport will be on your left. Watch for sharp rocks in water.
Sand Key Park Paw Playground
1060 Gulf Blvd.
Clearwater, Florida 33767
This leash free dog park is fully fenced with amenities like cooling stations complete with showers and dog-level water fountains. People need to clean up after their pets and all dogs must be on a leash when outside of the Paw Playground area. Sand Key Park is located south of Cleveland Street, on Gulf Blvd.
Chestnut Park Paw Playground
2200 East Lake Road
Palm Harbor, Florida 34685
This leash free dog park is fully fenced with amenities like cooling stations complete with showers and dog-level water fountains. People need to clean up after their pets and all dogs must be on a leash when outside of the Paw Playground area. Chestnut Park is located on East Lake Road, between Keystone Road and Highway 580.
Anderson Park Paw Playground
39699 U.S. Highway 19 North
Tarpon Springs, Florida 34689
This leash free dog park is fully fenced with amenities like cooling stations complete with showers and dog-level water fountains. People need to clean up after their pets and all dogs must be on a leash when outside of the Paw Playground area. Anderson Park is located off Highway 19, north of Klosterman Road.
Dog Friendly Beaches
Fort De Soto Beach
3500 Pinellas Bay way S.
Tierra Verde, FL
Park Office: 727-582-2267
Fort De Soto has been rated the number one beach in North America year after year. This is not surprising, given the park's white sand and pristine beauty. The park is the largest within the Pinellas Country Park System, and offers visitors 7 miles of waterfront. Additionally, the park receives 2.7 million visitors yearly, and is dog friendly.
Honeymoon Island State Park
1 Causeway Blvd
Dunedin, Florida 34698
Dogs on a 6 foot or less leash are allowed on part of the beach. Please ask the rangers for details when you arrive at the park. The park is located at the extreme west end of SR 586, north of Dunedin.
Gandy Bridge Causeway
Gandy Bridge east end
St Petersburg, Florida
This stretch of beach allows dogs to run and go swimming. We even saw a horse here. Dogs should be leashed on the beach.
Pinellas Causeway Beach
Pinellas Bay way St Petersburg, Florida
This stretch of beach is open to humans and dogs. Dogs should be on leash on the beach.
General Dog Park Rules & Etiquette
These are the general rules most parks have. Check individual parks.
- Please keep your dog on leash until you are inside the park itself.
- Once in the Park, the dog must be off-leash.
- Dogs should wear current license tags and be up-to-date on shots. If they are not wearing tag, proof of rabies vaccination must be shown.
- Male dogs over 6-7 months of age must be neutered.
- No dogs in heat or sick dogs or dogs with fleas.
- Keep an eye on your dog at all times. This means stay with your dog. Always know where he is and what he is doing.
- Any injuries to your dog or caused by your dog, either to themselves, people, other dog’s, or anyone’s possessions is your total full responsibility.
- Do not have treats or food as some dogs get over zealous and it can cause fights
- Be polite: "Scoop The Poop".
- The safest collar for your dog to wear in a dog park is a flat buckle collar (actually, a break-away collar is even safer; if a dog wearing a break-away collar should get caught on another dog or on a fence, etc., its weight will cause the collar to break, thus freeing the dog).
- Have possession of the dog leash at all times, (in your hand or on your body). This ensures that
- in the event of a problem, dogs can be quickly and safely restrained.
- Fill all holes dug up by your dog (s)
- Users of this facility do so at their own risk.
- If your dog's play is making other dog owners uncomfortable, go to another area of the dog park or perhaps return another time.
- If annoying (to the other dog or its owner) or aggressive behavior is observed from your dog, take immediate action: either move your dog to another part of the park, leave the park, or do whatever you have to do to prevent the behavior (time-out, redirect behavior, etc.).
- Rough play can be fine as long as it is consensual. Rough play and chasing is not acceptable if any of the dogs involved is not comfortable with the situation. Just because a dog's intent is to play does not make the dog's behavior acceptable or tolerable if the other dog is not enjoying itself.
- Dogs are to be on leash if outside fenced areas
- Make sure gates are kept closed
- Some do not allow children of certain ages to be in the park with the dogs.
- Have fun!
Humorous Dog Park Rules
Clean up the poop, lickety split
We don’t want our shoes to get covered in ….
Leash your dog when you arrive at the park
Or road traffic may hear his last bark
If you let your dog bully and make other dogs cry
You may have to kiss your membership goodbye
Little kids love to scream when they play
Too bad some large dogs may mistake them for prey
Do not bring your child if he’s less than four feet
Some of the dogs here like children to eat
If your male dog’s balls have not had the snip
Then to Dog Park do not make a trip
If a doggie argument turns into a fight
Do not grab the dog’s collar or you may feel the bite
Then what should you do if a dog fight does start?
Grab each dog by the hindquarters and pull them apart
If your dog is not healthy or is carrying fleas
Turn right around and go home, pretty please
Coming to the park with a female in season
Proves you’re completely lacking in reason
I am truly sorry if these verses offend
At least, thank goodness, they’ve come to an end
"By Lynn Badger, www.jaxdogs.com ". Owner, Dog Wood Park of Jacksonville, Fl